Author Topic: LittleRobot(tm) Discussion Group Formed  (Read 1107 times)

Oldbitcollector

• Holy Smoke!
  • Administrator
  • Projects, Not Platforms
    • View Profile
    • Propellerpowered
LittleRobot(tm) Discussion Group Formed
« on: February 04, 2013, 12:44:16 PM »
This discussion area is for LittleRobot discussion:

What is the a LittleRobot?

The LittleRobot concept is aimed to create entry level robots which are inexpensive and accessible to everyone.

The first robots we'll be discussing use the 5v stepper motor, HC-SR04 ultrasonic sensor, and bluetooth adapters which are sourced from China.   Propellerpowered is committed to also stocking all of these items at a reasonable cost.

LittleRobot is not platform or language dependent, as such discussions on interfacing it with other micros and language discussion from BASIC to FORTH is welcome here.

Here's more information on FORTH and the LittleRobot concept:
http://code.google.com/p/propforth/wiki/LittleRobot

Jeff

mindrobots

• I've never met a squirrel I didn't chase!
    • View Profile
Re: LittleRobot(tm) Discussion Group Formed
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 09:21:26 PM »
Cool! Another project to work on!

I liked this idea when the Professor first brought it up. The 4-H kids (parents) have been asking about less expensive alternatives to the Lego Mindstorms and other robot platforms they are offered.

I'll have to finish building my version of LittleRobot(tm)and start playing with it.

Glad you're behind sourcing this, Jeff!  Thanks!!

Oldbitcollector

• Holy Smoke!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Propellerpowered
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 09:51:09 PM »
I'm hoping Doug will pop in with some photos of what's he's been working on..

I thought it was a little silly to add the (tm) to the name, but after some explanation from Doug about this, this will protect the identity of the idea to those of us trying to promote to concept and not get choked by some toy company trying to release a product based on the name.

Jeff

blittled

• Out chasing squirrels
  • I don't know the meaning of the word impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 09:56:56 PM »
Since I got into micro-controllers originally to do robotics and since my last name is Little I must get involved in it as well. :) I'll probably pick up the stuff I need at the get together. The only thing I won't do is put a TM by my last name :)

Oldbitcollector

• Holy Smoke!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Propellerpowered
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 10:02:48 PM »
I'll have some simple, plastic 3" wheels that fit those stepper motors soon.

A base is also in the works...

Jeff

prof_braino

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 09:12:47 AM »
OK, I'm here finally!  Now the party can get started! :)  Hey where did everybody go?

Sal made a model for 3D printing for the chassis and wheels.  I'll be posting that when he decides its "final" enough to show publicly. It kind of cool, the electronics are mounted on a hinge so it easy to access the batteries etc, and its very compact.   He also made the wheels parametric so the size can be adjusted.   He has a start-up script the reads the distance sensor, moves the bot 1 turn (maybe) and auto calibrates the movement, so wheel diameter does not matter.  Pretty cool if it works!

I'll be posting photos of my prototypes when I get my chores done.

Oldbitcollector

• Holy Smoke!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Propellerpowered
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 01:23:33 PM »
I modified the name this morning as I don't want anyone to feel left out in this discussion group.   The discussions are open to ALL forms of inexpensive robotics designs, not just the design specified by the LittleRobot(tm) design.  If you robot uses servos over those 5v motors or programs in any language be it BASIC, FORTH, Robot BASIC, etc. etc, or if it crawls, rolls, flies, or vibrates it way to you it is welcome here.

I'd like to keep the focus centered more toward budget robots as I think this is the way we'll get more people to try this and perhaps get hooked on both robotics or micro-controllers in general.   I love the idea of a young person getting excited about micros and electronics using robots as much as I do them getting excited over creating their own video games.

Hope you guys are OK with the name modification. 

Jeff

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:41:18 PM by Oldbitcollector »

mindrobots

• I've never met a squirrel I didn't chase!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 01:39:06 PM »
I like it!

I'm going to try and get a bunch of the 4-H kids going with these and crack open the Gigantic Lego/FIRST monopoly!!