Author Topic: Robot speed  (Read 772 times)

prof_braino

• View Profile
Robot speed
« on: February 14, 2013, 10:11:37 AM »
The stepper motors we are using are not the fastest. These were chosen for cost not speed or power.

Is this enough?   The though was that for the initial robots, we won't want them moving too fast as they will tend to be somewhat out of control when kids start experimenting.

One option to increase the speed is to increase the wheel diameter.  This is one reason for our parametric wheels.  But we didn't do the experiments yet, and don't know if the torque will be sufficient. etc

Any thoughts?

Oldbitcollector

• Holy Smoke!
  • Administrator
  • Projects, Not Platforms
    • View Profile
    • Propellerpowered
Re: Robot speed
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 07:23:39 PM »
The stepper motors won't make any land-speed records..  That being said the speed is easily controllable.   The bot based on these motors won't make a desperate run for the edge of a desk and commit suicide like my Boebot was so intent on doing. :)

I was thinking that a simple LOGO package running on the PC with a serial link by Bluetooth might be interesting for these as well.   I've started the project, but it's taken a back burner with the product info site under production right now.    Combined LOGO with the speed of these bots and we could nickname them "Turtle" for sure!

Jeff