Author Topic: Cheap Robot gets a brain transplant!  (Read 1085 times)

mindrobots

• I've never met a squirrel I didn't chase!
    • View Profile
Cheap Robot gets a brain transplant!
« on: March 17, 2013, 09:12:19 AM »
(Warning, this topics may contain Arduino information and may cause upset to your sensibilities!!)

One of my 4-h kids wants to stay close to C++ which with the current state of PropGCC is leading me to suggest and Arduino. The PropGCC libraries just aren't up to supporting a robotics project for a  Jedi just yet.

So, one of Cheap Robots is getting its QuickStart pulled and replaced with an Arduino UNO R3 (for now). Once that's done, I'll wire up the motors ans start playing....wonder how long before I run out of pins....lwet's see, 8 for the motors, 2 two for a ultrasonic sensor, maybe 2 for Bluetooth...I'm sure I'll be fine, after all, it's an ARDUINO!!!  ;)

Stay tuned this is my Sunday project unless a nap intervenes!!

Oldbitcollector

• Holy Smoke!
  • Administrator
  • Projects, Not Platforms
    • View Profile
    • Propellerpowered
Re: Cheap Robot gets a brain transplant!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 12:44:53 PM »
I sense a great disturbance in the Force...   :P

I'm told that the next official release of PropGCC is going to contain C libraries which are easier to use than Spin.

Using an UNO for now will give them a great taste of two different languages.  Great idea!

Are you going to do a Bluetooth BASIC version too?

Jeff

mindrobots

• I've never met a squirrel I didn't chase!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 06:19:18 PM »
The one kid has a background in C# and is learning C++....I thought throwing another language into the mix might be a bit frustrating just about now.

It never hurts to learn something new. I spent an afternoon in the Arduino camp.

Granz

• View Profile
    • Granzeier Consulting
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 09:29:12 PM »
A while back, I wrote about a possible project for Boy Scouts, about building a very low-cost robot based on the Tiny13 from Atmel (http://projects.granzeier.com/2012/01/31/boy-scouts-robotics-merit-badge-a-low-cost-bot/.)  The '13 can be programmed using WinAVR (an AVR port of GCC), http://winavr.sourceforge.net/WinAVR-user-manual.html section 2.1 and 2.2.

Yes, it is pretty low-level, but it should fit into a kid's budget.

prof_braino

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 11:15:59 AM »
Some of the kids (or there parents) will want options for microcontroller and languages.

Can you link resources for the ardiuno and C++ materials you used?  I wish to stick to my claim that anything beyond propforth is out of my scope,  but I will point the teacher and students to the arduino materials as needed.