Author Topic: OFFICIAL PROPELLERPOWERED EXPO: THANK YOU FROM THE STAFF!  (Read 16550 times)

ctwardell

• View Profile
Re: OFFICIAL PROPELLERPOWERED EXPO: THANK YOU FROM THE STAFF!
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2013, 09:50:09 AM »
I also started setting the scene for next year's contest(s)...

Hmmmm, I hear we are expecting some REALLY BAD weather....

C.W.

Granz

• View Profile
    • Granzeier Consulting
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2013, 10:18:17 AM »
Just checked my Part 1 (and Part 2) video from desktop PC and it plays fine.
It will not play from an IPAD.  Part 2 plays from the IPAD, just not part 1. 

I'll keep looking for anything I may have done differently from one to the other.
Anyone have any ideas?

For your info:  I am also having the same troubles with Part I - Shows almost 12 minutes until it loads and then it shows a length of 1 second and will not play.

Environment: I am running FireFox 23.0 (just installed it yesterday) on top of Ubuntu 12.04 (latest Long-Term-Release.)  My internet connection is from Comcast and is the Xfinity service.  My speed, as reported by Speakeasy speed test (http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/) today is 9.29MBPS down and 4.54MBPS up (in other words, my speed is not the issue.  I hope this helps to narrow down the issues.

There is no trouble with Part II of your video.

BTW - Thanks for posting these videos, they are great fun.

Roger Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2013, 10:24:29 AM »
Thanks Art,

Also using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS here.
Firefox 22.0 ( I doubt that is the issue)

Have not tried windows yet, I will, just for fun.

All three videos work OK from my set up. 

blittled

• Out chasing squirrels
  • I don't know the meaning of the word impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2013, 11:43:36 AM »
@Granz, any hints on what competitions there will be? I just put on my new Propeller Activity Board on my BoeBot ant its itching to do something :).

Granz

• View Profile
    • Granzeier Consulting
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2013, 01:56:29 PM »
@Granz, any hints on what competitions there will be? I just put on my new Propeller Activity Board on my BoeBot ant its itching to do something :).

Nothing firmed up yet (not even as firm as runny Jello.)  Some of the things that we are considering (have only spoken to Jeff very briefly,) are maybe a beginner's wall-follower (this would be useful for mapping the damage area,) and a main event of finding a "baby."  What I am envisioning for this contest is a pile/wall/area of rubble (bricks, concrete blocks, lumber, etc.) with a baby stuck in the middle.  I'm hoping for some kind of thermal device inside the baby (maybe have to plug the kid into an extension cord - you know how kids never have enough energy today :o) with a thermostat to keep the baby at about body temp.  This way, the robots could use thermal sensing/imaging to locate the victim.  Another thought is to plant a speaker inside the baby with a recording of a real baby crying (our next grandkid is due in Jan, so he/she may be pressed into service as an audio model - I can already see my daughter-in-law rolling her eyes at my request.)

I'm also thinking of maybe having the robots pass through a little rain (a lawn sprinkler) and maybe a flood (a small pool, etc.,) possibly getting extra credit for those (anyone know how to build a LARGE wind machine? How about zapping the 'bot with a lightening bolt from a Van De Graff generator - Ok, maybe too much realism there ;D.)

Anyhow, I will be starting a thread on the PPE SARBot Contest 14 soon.

ctwardell

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2013, 02:10:34 PM »

Nothing firmed up yet (not even as firm as runny Jello.)  Some of the things that we are considering (have only spoken to Jeff very briefly,) are maybe a beginner's wall-follower (this would be useful for mapping the damage area,) and a main event of finding a "baby."  What I am envisioning for this contest is a pile/wall/area of rubble (bricks, concrete blocks, lumber, etc.) with a baby stuck in the middle.  I'm hoping for some kind of thermal device inside the baby (maybe have to plug the kid into an extension cord - you know how kids never have enough energy today :o) with a thermostat to keep the baby at about body temp.  This way, the robots could use thermal sensing/imaging to locate the victim.  Another thought is to plant a speaker inside the baby with a recording of a real baby crying (our next grandkid is due in Jan, so he/she may be pressed into service as an audio model - I can already see my daughter-in-law rolling her eyes at my request.)

I'm also thinking of maybe having the robots pass through a little rain (a lawn sprinkler) and maybe a flood (a small pool, etc.,) possibly getting extra credit for those (anyone know how to build a LARGE wind machine? How about zapping the 'bot with a lightening bolt from a Van De Graff generator - Ok, maybe too much realism there ;D.)

Anyhow, I will be starting a thread on the PPE SARBot Contest 14 soon.

That sounds pretty fun, but will need to be really well defined as far as the obstacles and hazards are concerned.

I think we should make sure to have at least one contest where a boe-bot or sumo-bot type chassis is sufficient from a mechanical point of view.

C.W.

Granz

• View Profile
    • Granzeier Consulting
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2013, 03:13:50 PM »
I think we should make sure to have at least one contest where a boe-bot or sumo-bot type chassis is sufficient from a mechanical point of view.

C.W.

Yes, I agree - that is the purpose of the mapping contest (wall follower,) we are not (for the most part) a herd of robotics professionals here, so I want something that everyone can enter.  It will be a simple (almost as simple as a line follower) contest that almost anyone can enter.  The rain/flood/wind/lightening/earthquake/meteor/whatever stuff will be optional ;)(and may not even be included in the entry-level contest(s).

Plus, who knows, we may end up stuck to only the simpler levels, due to any of a gazillion different circumstances (price/space/time/whatever.)  Like I said, this is still in the "thinking out loud" and brain-storming stage of design.  Lots of that stuff seems pretty fun, but may not even work out.

We shall see.  Let me have a week or so (my wife is going through some medical issues right now,) and I will begin the PPE SAR-Bot '14 contest thread.

Roger Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2013, 05:39:26 PM »
OK folks, Part 1 of the Line Following video has been re-posted.
It is back in its original place ( post 68 of this thread ).

Please let me know how it works for you, good or otherwise.

Roger

ctwardell

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2013, 08:30:47 PM »
Works for me now on Win7/IE

Thanks!

C.W.

Granz

• View Profile
    • Granzeier Consulting
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2013, 08:37:16 PM »
OK folks, Part 1 of the Line Following video has been re-posted.
It is back in its original place ( post 68 of this thread ).

Please let me know how it works for you, good or otherwise.

Roger

Hurray for Roger - thanks.

Videos are blocked here at work - I will let you know what happens when I get back home.

Granz

• View Profile
    • Granzeier Consulting
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2013, 11:35:56 PM »
Ok, it worked great - I really enjoyed watching, especially from a purely observer's point of view.  Thanks again for posting these videos (next year I need to remember to get videos.)

Who was it that was "filming" the runs?  She did a great job, especially getting shots of the people, both the contestants, as well as the audience.  It figures that it would be a woman (interested in the people) - I would probably have just concentrated on the 'bots themselves ::) (and missed a huge part of the fun.)  Thanks to the videographer, too.

Roger Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2013, 08:52:48 AM »
Thanks for the feedback on the video.  Glad to hear they are all playing as they should. 
I had to remove the original and upload it again.

@Art,  That was my wife recording.  I have relayed your kind words to her.

KeithMc

• MiRC - Michigan Robot Club (SE Michigan)
  • FIRST Mentor, FRC470 Alpha Omega Robotics
    • View Profile
Re: Official PropellerPowered Expo - Location concerns
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2013, 12:59:37 PM »
Moved here, from the "Robot Contest(s) at PropellerPowered Expo '13" thread... - Keith

Sorry to have missed it. 
(FYI The entire MiRC contingent from Michigan could not make it this year, due to excessive distance...  It is the first event we've missed in the Expo's history... DARN...)
Sorry about that!  The show was "self supporting" this year without corporate sponsorship.  Had we maintained the existing Norwalk location, we would have been negative over -$600.00 in expo costs.  (A show stopper)
Hopefully, you guys will be able to attend 2014. 
Jeff
I'm sorry too!  What happened: In the past, we'd all travel and meet up in the wee hours of Sat AM in SE MI, van pool down and back on the same day, then drive home.  Yea it was darn early middle of the night start, and a post midnight return home, but we could JUST manage it in a single day.

Unfortunately, the move to the new location added several hours to the travel time.  This "broke" our van pool, which could just barely handle the previous distance to the Norwalk location.  It is now a 7-10+ hour drive for most members (and maybe hotel fees so we wouldn't be driving all night).   Without the van pool it also over triples individual gas costs.  So (AFAICD) the entire MiRC and GO-Tech contingents gave up.  At last count I think something like a dozen of our people skipped it this year, and we've been there since the very beginning... It was VERY painful for us to miss it!

Now I can fully sympathize with your financial plight, and for this last event I can see the logic.  (...and no matter where you put it, some people will have to travel more than others...)

But FYI, if the event is going to remain out of our driving range, a few individuals from our group MAY bite the bullet and come in the future to attend, but the majority probably won't come anymore, or will have to travel light and won't bring much with them.  At now over $100 in gas & fees, a day of travel, and possibly one or two nights in a hotel to come individually, most stories I heard why they bailed involved one of more of: financial, time, or spousal conflicts.

(BTW, just FYI Parallax's ordering system wouldn't honor the UPENE attendance discount after last year's event. That's a different problem, but it also came up.)

Now if you're happy with the current setup, then OK.  Good luck to you.

But as a positive suggestion, I'd simply attempt to get sponsorship again.  If you CAN find some way over the next year to pay for putting it back where it was before (or further west) so you won't lose money, we'd be there! 

As an incentive - If you can move back west, we can promise to not only have a decent contingent there and lots of things to display, we'll also bring out a MiRC Arena game, possibly some Sumobot arenas, run some games, and do some talks.

FYI, for those that don't remember us, the MiRC members that were missing this year had previously had about a full row of table displays, and gave talks on many subjects.  Some of the things MiRC members have shown and talked about in the past have included: The quick to make PropBots, a talk on building bots cheaply, the trashcan talking robot, The Robot Army (a CheapBot swarm), the punching dummy robot, JeepBots (outdoor robots made from kid's riding jeep parts), the Y3MD very cheap motor driver, SpindleBots (CD case robots), and many swap and sale items on our tables.

Some of the NEW things we HAD ready for this year included: PropRoombas, a new cute little mini-trashcan robot, Cheap Bot II (even cheaper than before!), the prototype of our under development laser cut inexpensive PropBot II, and the MiRC Contest Arena along with its first game "Golf Cleanup", where you must compete to clear more golf balls from the center faster than your opponent.  (Just about anything tabletop robot sized with a scoop may enter!)

But we just couldn't swing the new distance & cost to attend this year, let alone haul all of our stuff over that distance.  (... and we are concerned with any future attendance, should the event remain out of our driving range...)

Please let us know if you ever do get some sponsorship again, and can again hold the event within our commute range.  Thanks.

- Keith Mc.
MiRC - Michigan Robot Club

Granz

• View Profile
    • Granzeier Consulting
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2013, 02:24:32 PM »
Keith,

I, personally, am also sorry that you missed the Expo - it really was great, and we missed you guys a lot!

Speaking financially, even if Jeff does get some kind of sponsorship, the price at the Greene Center was a third of the cost for the Norwalk center.  It would probably be a bad financial decision to go back to Norwalk; on the other hand, if anyone else knows of a place that can be had for free (or at least very low price,) Jeff may be able to afford to haul his stuff and stay at a motel.  His early morning and late night commutes were pretty rough on him - those of us who stayed to the end and helped to clean up, could see it all over him, Becky, Bryan and the others.  (Perhaps, he may be interested if we could set up a caffeine IV drip - with my wife's medical troubles, we have seen plenty of wheelchairs with IV poles attached to the back... :P)