Author Topic: Robot Contest(s) at PropellerPowered Expo '13  (Read 7644 times)

Granz

• View Profile
    • Granzeier Consulting
Re: Robot Contest(s) at PropellerPowered Expo '13
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2013, 10:42:09 AM »
Keith,

Thanks for your input.

1) - Yeah, that is what I initially imagined for the sumo contest.  However, I do not already have any doyhos, and the one that was generously offered does not have an edge.  You know the old saying: "Beggars cannot be choosers."  Perhaps, in the future, we will have a couple of those raised-edge doyhos, but for now, we will do with what we have.  Last I saw, you were not sure that you would be able to make it; if you can, we would greatly appreciate any raised-edge doyhos that you are able to bring.  Hopefully, you can make it.

2) - That is a great way of making a line-follower course.  Several years ago, I wrote a manual for one of Eddie Wright's robots.  Since then, I have been involved in the Chibot's mail group (Eddie is a member of Chibots.)  When I started to look at setting up a line-follower contest I took a look at their page (http://www.chibots.org/?q=node/1912.)  Your tile idea is exactly how they set up their courses.  Unfortunately, due to time and money limits, I had to do it a bit more simply for this year.  It would be wonderful to have a set of those tiles for next time; hopefully I will be able to put together a set by then.

Thanks again, and I hope to see you there.

mindrobots

• I've never met a squirrel I didn't chase!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 10:22:30 AM »
I may be able to modify my doyho if I get time and energy.  I'll try to cut it out and put short legs on it.

Granz

• View Profile
    • Granzeier Consulting
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 11:57:04 AM »
I may be able to modify my doyho if I get time and energy.  I'll try to cut it out and put short legs on it.

That would be great, thanks.

IOW.. If you simply cut the original black-white arena out of a thick sheet of plywood (or a medium thickness one and attach 2x4s under it), then set this on TOP of a solid Gray sheet (or dark carpeting) you have something closer to a STANDARD Sumo ring.  (BTW, there are easier ways to cut an ACCURATE circle than via a jigsaw {shiver}.  If you need advice on simple Trammels and circle cutting methods, let me know.)
Thoughts?  Comments?

- Keith Mc.

Keith,

Sounds like just what MindRobots and I need; go ahead, we're listening...

Roger Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 08:53:11 PM »
Hello Art, 

I plan to try my hand at the line follower contest.  I am working on a propeller controlled Boe-Bot. 
Since a Boe-Bot is not much bigger than the Sumo-Bot I hope that will fit on the track.  (?).

From the LINE FOLLOWER CONTEST - PPE'13 page:

The elapsed time for each run will be recorded.  Added to this time will be penalty seconds assessed during that run.  The lowest total time (with penalties) of the three runs will then be recorded for the robotís score.

This almost sounds like all three runs will be added together, I'm sure that is not what you intended. 
The lowest time (with penalties) for a single 3 lap run is what we are after, right.

I will be willing to learn how to judge the other contest, if needed. 

See you in a few days, time to get busy.

Roger.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:59:54 PM by Roger Lee »

Granz

• View Profile
    • Granzeier Consulting
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 09:33:18 PM »
Hello Art, 
This almost sounds like all three runs will be added together, I'm sure that is not what you intended. 
The lowest time (with penalties) for a single 3 lap run is what were after, right.
Roger.

Roger,

You are correct that this is not what we intended.  I added another sentence ("In other words, your worst scores will be thrown out and only your best (lowest) score will be counted.") to the end of that paragraph.  Hopefully this will make things more clear.

Thanks for the head's up.  See you soon.

Also: for everyone else; we still need some judges.  Any volunteers?

Granz

• View Profile
    • Granzeier Consulting
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2013, 05:26:06 PM »
Well, it was a long weekend; but it was great.

Here are the results of the two robot contests:

Line Follower -
 - In first place, with a best time of 9.7 seconds, was Toadblue, owned by Roger Goff
 - In second place, with a best time of 18.2 seconds, was Thing1, owned by Chris and Abby Wardell
 - In third place, with a best time of 46.4 seconds, was S2, also owned by Roger Goff

Sumo -
 - In first place, with 2 wins and 1 loss, was Thing1, owned by Chris and Abby Wardell
 - In second place, with 1 win and 2 losses, was Thing2, owned by Chris and Abby Wardell

Congrats to all of our entrants, and thank you for a most entertaining contest.  I have also posted these results in my blog and have updated each contest page with the results for that contest.

For the trivia collector: Chris and Abby's robots were named after Thing1 and Thing2 from the Cat in the Hat (http://seuss.wikia.com/wiki/Thing_One_and_Thing_Two).  Thank you Abby for those imaginative names.

We are already working on the OPPE'14 Robotics Contest(s) - Note: we have been having extreme weather all of this past summer, of 2014.  Eastern Ohio has experienced record amounts of heavy rainfall, and flooding, since early spring '14, and there have been numerous thunderstorms, microbursts and even several tornadoes sighted in the Orrville area.  I have heard rumors that the Mayor of Orrville is worried that buildings may collapse from the ground being weakened due to being saturated from all the rain.  Jeff, from PropellerPowered has been asked to prepare a team of SAR-Bots (Search-And-Rescue Robots) in case of any major damage.  Stay tuned to OPPE News for further details as they develop.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:01:50 PM by Granz »

Oldbitcollector

• Holy Smoke!
  • Administrator
  • Projects, Not Platforms
    • View Profile
    • Propellerpowered

Granz

• View Profile
    • Granzeier Consulting
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2013, 06:05:03 PM »
<smirk>http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Orrville+OH+44667:4:US</smirk>

:)

Get with the program, Jeff - that data is almost a year old.  We are talking about the terrible weather that we have been having THIS year (2014). (Setting the scenario, here - c'mon, work with me a bit.) :P

mindrobots

• I've never met a squirrel I didn't chase!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2013, 08:20:13 AM »
Ooooooh! SARBots! That sounds ambitious!! (and FUN!)

Sorry to hear about the upcoming weather, Jeff! Keep safe and dry!  ;)

KeithMc

• MiRC - Michigan Robot Club (SE Michigan)
  • FIRST Mentor, FRC470 Alpha Omega Robotics
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2013, 11:01:07 AM »
Sorry to have missed it. 
(FYI The entire MiRC contingent from Michigan could not make it this year, due to excessive distance...  It is the first event we've missed in the Expo's history... DARN...)

OOC,
A) How many entrants were in each contest?

B) What did you end up doing for a Sumo ring?  Did you cut it out and space it above the floor with at least one more layer or spacers, or was it the original one plane design?

C) Where are some pictures from this contest posted?

Thanks.
- Keith Mc.

Granz

• View Profile
    • Granzeier Consulting
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2013, 11:38:39 AM »
Keith,

A & B) I posted a summary notice on the PPE'13 Robotics Contest thread at (http://propellerpowered.com/forum/index.php?topic=495.30, reply number 35, on page 3.)

C) There are photos and video on the PPE'13 thread (http://propellerpowered.com/forum/index.php?topic=483.0, starting with reply # 61 on page 5.)  Also, Bryan did a really great walk-through video of the expo in general.

It was really a lot of fun.  We started Saturday out with a single robot from Roger, and ended up with 5 different robots.  Not bad for a first try - if I do say so, myself.

We also started discussing next year's robotic contest (on the PPE'13 Robotics Contest, see above.)  You may want to start preparing now - this one may require the resources of an entire club.

Oldbitcollector

• Holy Smoke!
  • Administrator
  • Projects, Not Platforms
    • View Profile
    • Propellerpowered
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2013, 12:22:38 PM »
Sorry to have missed it. 
(FYI The entire MiRC contingent from Michigan could not make it this year, due to excessive distance...  It is the first event we've missed in the Expo's history... DARN...)

Sorry about that!  The show was "self supporting" this year without corporate sponsorship.  Had we maintained the existing Norwalk location, we would have been negative over -$600.00 in expo costs.  (A show stopper)

Hopefully, you guys will be able to attend 2014. 

Jeff