Author Topic: how sidplayr files should look  (Read 1081 times)

Roger Lee

• View Profile
how sidplayr files should look
« on: August 23, 2014, 10:06:18 PM »
I learned something tonight.  While in a related discussion, I mentioned that it would be nice to have the .dmp (sidplayr music) files not show up in the MMC dir listing.

Well, it turns out I don't follow instructions very well at all.
and what makes it even worse, there are only 3 instructions.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Instructions for installation & usage:

Copy the SIDPLAYR.BIN file to your SD Card.
Copy some .DMP music files to a folder on your SD called called dmp.

COLOR BASIC: BRUN “sidplayer.bin
MMBASIC: CTRL-B sidplayer.bin         <-- should be sidplayr.bin
------------------------------------------------------------------

I just now put the .dmp files in a directory called dmp on the SD card.
Wow, what a difference that makes. 
This is the way it should have been all along.  (feeling embarrassed )

The only reason I am posting this is to let people know I can learn new things, eventually.
and it may help someone else out.

Roger.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:12:44 PM by Roger Lee »

krs013

• View Profile
Re: how sidplayr files should look
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 02:24:17 AM »
Ah ha! Thanks! I had the same complaint, and decided to read this post since I was curious about it. Turns out I should have followed directions!

I think it would be nice to eventually work into SIDPLAYR a way for it to read the full file name--I'll be learning more about FAT in a couple weeks and maybe take a shot at it. Anyway, thanks Roger!

blittled

• Out chasing squirrels
  • I don't know the meaning of the word impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 01:20:17 PM »
krs013,
Full File Names that do not follow the 8.3 (filename.extension) format are copyrighted by Microsoft so there isn't any code out there for it. If you do research fat file formats you will find it is doable but a little tricky. Also if you do develop code for it, you can use it for your own use but don't publish it due to the copyright. :(
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 01:23:45 PM by blittled »

Reddy Kilowatt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 04:26:46 PM »
krs013,
Full File Names that do not follow the 8.3 (filename.extension) format are copyrighted by Microsoft so there isn't any code out there for it. If you do research fat file formats you will find it is doable but a little tricky. Also if you do develop code for it, you can use it for your own use but don't publish it due to the copyright. :(

That's interesting. How can Microsoft hold a copyright to filenames that don't conform to 8.3, when longer filenames have been used on *nix and other OSs before Microsoft was
around.

johwaa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 11:42:15 PM »
krs013,

That's interesting. How can Microsoft hold a copyright to filenames that don't conform to 8.3, when longer filenames have been used on *nix and other OSs before Microsoft was
around.

Exactly. They didn't copyright long filenames, but they did (and have every right to) copyright their FAT specification on creating 8.3 filenames from Windows NT long filenames (Nothing stops you from coming up with your own method). A very different kettle of fish.

The agreement:

http://www.osdever.net/documents/LongFileName.pdf

I couldn't help but notice that nowhere does the agreement permit you to actually use the specification. But I think that it is more of a CYA effort than anything. Then again, Microsoft wasn't nearly as kind and gentle back then as they are today.

And I thought that this was interesting:

"Originally we were considering using a fixed number of additional entries to support long names greater than 32 characters, (the Mac file name size)." So they aren't even trying to claim copyright on long filenames.

blittled

• Out chasing squirrels
  • I don't know the meaning of the word impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 01:48:54 PM »
johwaa, Thanks for the clarification. I always thought Microsoft copyrighted it. I stand corrected.