Author Topic: Squirrel Chaser 1.0  (Read 565 times)

blittled

• Out chasing squirrels
  • I don't know the meaning of the word impossible!
    • View Profile
Squirrel Chaser 1.0
« on: December 10, 2014, 09:02:23 PM »
Since this forum hasn't had a post in nearly a year I decided to to post something. I've been busy with holiday stuff but there has been an idea developing in my head for after the holidays. I originally got back into electronics a couple of years back to do robotics. I only built the most basic robots with a project box or wood as the chassis.

I now have a electronics collection of some 20 odd microcontroller boards, ping, srf-04, srf-08, qtis, Parallax encoders, high speed servos, continuous servos, regular servos, camera, ColorPal, tfts, LCDs, Boebot and Ardbot. Also I have the Robot Bonanza Book editions 3 and 4. If I want I also have a friend that can give me access to a laser cutter, 3D printer and CNC! With all these resources I should be able to build something awesome.

I plan on starting simple and letting it evolve into something bigger. I'll probably start with the Boebot with a Ping, High Speed Servos, an old Servo Controller and a blue tooth module controlled by a Propeller Robot Control Board since this is already wired up. I'll also develop a PC program in Robot Basic to control it via blue tooth.

My final plan is to have individual modules all running with micro controllers such as Micromites communicating via I2C, serial, or SPI to a central controller such as the Propeller. The modules I would like to have would be servo controller, encoder controller, sensor controller, SRF-08, camera controller, SP0256 Speech controller and bluetooth. This will probably require a larger chassis, a good power system and DC motors rather than servos.

So I swear by my Propeller Beanie that by next year's mini expo I'll have something to show! I'll use this thread to post my progress and any videos I do. Hopefully it will fulfill one function at least... keeping squirrels away :).

Granz

• View Profile
    • Granzeier Consulting
Re: Squirrel Chaser 1.0
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 07:07:45 AM »
Sounds like a pretty cool project, Brian.  You have enough time that you could have something nice for National Robotics Week (4-12 Apr 15 - http://www.nationalroboticsweek.org/.)

Oldbitcollector

• Holy Smoke!
  • Administrator
  • Projects, Not Platforms
    • View Profile
    • Propellerpowered
Re: Squirrel Chaser 1.0
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 10:16:05 AM »
I like this!

Keep us up to date with some photos of your progress!